Anderson County is named for Joseph Anderson, who was a United States Senator from Tennessee and the first Comptroller of the United States Treasury.
Created: November 6, 1801
Clinton 1801 – present
County Courthouse – Clinton
Location: 100 North Main Street / West Broad Street
Built: 1966 – 1967
Architect: Martin J Lide of Birmingham, Alabama
Contractor: Davis Building Company of La Follette
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The east front has a large portico supported by eight high pillars. A wide concrete band runs below the roof line. The roof line is flat. The courtrooms are located on the third story.
See: The architect, Martin J Lide of Birmingham, designed courthouses in Alabama in Blount County, Cullman County, Marshall County, Saint Clair County, Tallapoosa County and Wilcox County and in Tennessee in Roane County, Union County and White County.
Note: The first court met at the home of Joseph Denham. The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1803. The second courthouse was a stone structure built in 1830. The third courthouse was designed by W Chamberlin and Company and constructed by Stephenson & Getaz in 1889. The building was demolished.
Picture 1890 Courthouse
Plaque 1890 Courthouse
Photos taken 2012 and 2018