Wilcox County

US States / A-G / Alabama / Wilcox County
Wilcox

Wilcox County is named for Joseph M Wilcox, who was a lieutenant during the Creek War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

 Marengo County and Dallas County

E – Lowndes County and Butler County

S – Monroe County and Clarke County

W – Clarke County and Marengo County

 

Created:  December 13, 1819                                                    Map of Alabama highlighting Wilcox County

County Seat:        

Canton Bend  1819 – 1833

Camden          1833 – present

 

County Courthouse – Camden

 

Location:  12 Water Street / Claiborne Street

Built:  1977 – 1978

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Martin J Lide of Birmingham

Contractor:  Rodgers & Bullard Construction Corporation of Montgomery

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a three story light red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Camden. The southwest front has a large portico with arches on the first story and four square pillars rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is stone trim at the corners. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the “Courthouse Annex”.

 

See:  The architect,  Martin J Lide of Birmingham, designed courthouses in Alabama in Blount CountyCullman County, Marshall County, Saint Clair County and Tallapoosa County and in Tennessee in Anderson CountyRoane County, Union County and White County.

 

Old County Courthouse – Camden

 

0550a10

 

Location:  Broad Street / Claiborne Street

Built:  1857 – 1858

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Alexander Bragg of Camden

Contractor:  Alexander Bragg of Camden

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of Camden. The southwest front has a large portico supported by four large white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. An addition was added on the northeast side in 1983. The architect was Sherlock, Smith & Adams, Inc. and the contractor was Weston Scarsbrook. The building houses the county offices and the public library.

                        

 

History:  The first courthouse was a two story wooden structure erected in Canton Bend in 1819. The county seat was moved to Barbourville ( Camden ) in 1833. The second courthouse was a two story wood structure which was torn down when the third courthouse was built in 1857 to 1858. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1977 to 1978.

 

.

0544a10

County Courthouse – Camden

 

 

0546a10

 

 

0547a10

 

 

0551a10

Old County Courthouse – Camden

 

 

0549a10

 

 

0552a10

 

 

0553a10

 

 

0555a10

 

 

0556a10

Photos taken 2010