Cullman County is named for John G Cullman, who was a Colonel and the founder of the county seat.
Created: January 24, 1877
Cullman 1877 – present
County Courthouse – Cullman
Location: 500 2nd Avenue SW / 5th Street SW
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Martin J Lide of Birmingham
Contractor: Algernon Blair, Inc.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story stone, concrete and glass structure. The southwest front has a large canopy in the center at the first story entrance. The corner sections are lower and faced with stone. The windows are vertical with vertical dividers between. The roof line is flat. The building was remodeled in 2012 after tornado damage. The architect was Fred Fagg of F & O Architects, LLC. and the contractor was Edison & Associates.
Note: In 1879, a courthouse was constructed by Nelson and in 1913, a courthouse was constructed by F M Dobson.
See: The architect, Martin J Lide of Birmingham, designed courthouses in Alabama in Blount County, Marshall County, Saint Clair County, Tallapoosa County and Wilcox County and in Tennessee in Anderson County, Roane County, Union County and White County.
courthouse before 2012
Photos taken 2010 and 2014