Tallapoosa County is named for the Tallapoosa River, which was named from the Creek Native American words “Talwa posa” meaning “grandmother town”.
Created: December 18, 1832
Dadeville 1832 – present
County Courthouse – Dadeville
Location: 125 North Broadnax Street / Columbus Street
Built: 1959 – 1960
Architect: Martin J Lide of Birmingham
Contractor: Lynn H Blair
Description: The building faces east and is a four story red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a large porch rising to the top of the third story with clock in the center and has six thin pillars. The entrance on the second story is recessed with a same pediment above. The center section projects from the main building. There are two story north and south wings. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1860. A bell tower was added in 1902 with W Chamberlain as the architect. Further additions were made in 1929 and 1949.
See: The architect, Martin J Lide of Birmingham, designed courthouses in Alabama in Blount County, Cullman County, Marshall County, Saint Clair County and Wilcox County and in Tennessee in Anderson County, Roane County, Union County and White County.
County Courthouse – Alexander City
Location: 1 Courthouse Square / Church Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Neo-Classical and Art Deco
Architect: Roberts & Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building was constructed as a combination city hall and county courthouse. The building is “H” shaped with the center section rising higher than the east and west wings. The east front has a concrete framed entrance on the first story. The center section projects slightly with a high window on the second story. Horizontal belts run below the windows and the flat roof line.
County Courthouse Annex – Alexander City
Location: 395 Lee Street / 2nd Street
Built: 2005 – 2007
Contractor: J A Lett Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a high portico with four white colored columns and pediment above. The building is shaped as a “U” with projecting south and north wings. The roof line is flat. The building is names as the C J Coley Courthouse Annex.
S – Macon County
Photos taken 2010 and 2014