White County is named for John White, who was a soldier during the American Revolutionary War and who was the first settler in the county.
Created: September 11, 1806
Rock Island ( Warren County ) 1806 – 1809
Sparta 1809 – present
County Courthouse – Sparta
Location: 1 East Brockman Way / South Main Street
Built: 1974 – 1975
Architect: Martin J Lide of Birmingham, Alabama
Contractor: Hardaway Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story glass and white colored concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of Liberty Square in the center of the city. Each side has three arches on the first story and pilasters rising to the roof line with pediment above. The courtroom is located on the west side of the third story.
See: The architect, Martin J Lide of Birmingham, designed courthouses in Alabama in Blount County, Cullman County, Marshall County, Saint Clair County, Tallapoosa County and Wilcox County and in Tennessee in Anderson County, Roane County and Union County.
Note: The first court was held in 1806 at the home of Joseph Terry at Rock Island ( Warren County ). The first courthouse in Sparta was a log structure built in 1810. The second courthouse was designed by Rueben H Hunt and constructed by William F Doolittle in 1894. The present and third courthouse was constructed at a cost of $1,000,000.
N – Putnam County
W – DeKalb County
Photos taken 2012 and 2018