Campbell County

US States / O-U / Tennessee / Campbell County
0526C14

Campbell County is named for Arthur Campbell, who was a member of the Virginia House of Burgesses and who was a negotiator of Indian treaties.

Created:  September 11, 1806 

County Seat: 

Jacksboro  1806 – present

County Courthouse – Jacksboro  

Location:  570 Main Street / Kentucky Street

Built:  1926 – 1927

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  R F Graf and Sons

Contractor:  Helms and Willis

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete  structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a large portico with four columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. The recessed entrance has a small balcony above on the second story. A wide black colored belt runs below the roof line. On the west side is a one story addition constructed in 1964. The architect was Guay & Associates and the contractor was Pennington & McKebee.

 

Note:  Previous courthouses were built in 1808 and 1855. The third courthouse was designed by Bruce and Morgan and constructed by Sharp & Bushong in 1885. The cornerstone has been preserved.

 

Courthouses: 

N – McCreary County, Kentucky and Whitley County. Kentucky

E – Claiborne County and Union County 

S – Anderson County

W – Scott County

 

 

 

0525c14

County Courthouse

 

 

0527c14

 

 

0528c14

 

 

0529c14

 

 

0530c14

 

 

0531c14_0

 

 

0537c14

 

 

0538c14

 

 

0535c14

Cornerstone 1885 Courthouse

Photos taken 2014