Blount County is named for Willie Blount, who was a Governor of Tennessee.
Created: February 7, 1818
Oneonta 1818 – present
County Courthouse – Oneonta
Location: 220 2nd Avenue East / 3rd Street North
Built: 1953 – 1954
Architect: Martin J Lide of Birmingham
Contractor: Andrew Dawson & Shenesey
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red and brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is a “U” shape with the entrance at the center with a high concrete wall having the county crest at the top. The windows are horizontal. The roof line is flat. The building was enlarged in 1984. The architect was Plauren Barrett and the contractor was Stone Building Company. Along the south side is the Tom Bevill Building – Courthouse Annex constructed in 1996. The contractor was L & L Acoustical.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1888 and enlarged in 1935. The building was demolished.
See: The architect, Martin J Lide of Birmingham, designed courthouses in Alabama in Cullman County, Marshall County, Saint Clair County, Tallapoosa County and Wilcox County and in Tennessee in Anderson County, Roane County, Union County and White County.
Photos taken 2010