Knox County is named for Henry Knox, who was an American Revolutionary War hero and who served as the first United States Secretary of War from 1785 to 1794.
Created: June 11, 1792
Knoxville 1792 – present
County Courthouse – Knoxville
Location: 400 West Main Street / South Gay Street
Built: 1978 – 1979
Architect: McCarty Bullock Holsaple and Lindsay & Maple
Contractor: The Public Building Authority of the County of Knox and the City of Knoxville
Description: The building faces north and is a ten story concrete and glass structure. The building is the City-County Building. The top three stories extend outwards. The windows are horizontal with concrete divisions between the floors. The roof line is flat. On the north side is a two story concrete and glass structure being the old City Hall and connected by a walkway over West Hill Street.
Note: The Public Building Authority of the County of Knox and the City of Knoxville hired the sub trades and managed the construction project.
Old County Courthouse – Knoxville
Location: 300 West Main Street / South Gay Street
Built: 1884 – 1885
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Palliser & Palliser of New York City, New York
Contractor: Stephenson and Getaz of Knoxville
Description: The building faces north and is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The building has a high square brick clock tower rising to a white colored wood cupola with clock and steep green colored roof. Wings were added to the west and east sides in 1920 to 1921. The architect was Albert Baumann of Baumann & Baumann and the contractor was A H Wisman. The building served as the courthouse until 1979.
Note: Built at a cost of $82,000.00 the courthouse was considered fireproof, and included a 2,500-pound bell.
See: The architect, Palliser & Palliser of New York City, New York, also designed the old courthouse in Escambia County, Florida.
See: Located in the county is the Tennessee Supreme Court – Knoxville.
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2012, 2014 and 2018