Union County is named for either its creation from parts of five counties or to memorialize East Tennessee’s support for the Union.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Grainger County
S – Knox County
Created: January 3, 1850
Maynardville 1850 – present
County Courthouse – Maynardville
Location: 901 Main Street / Monroe Street
Built: 1971 – 1973
Architect: Martin J Lide of Birmingham, Alabama
Contractor: Mullins Construction Company
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story white colored concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The southeast front has steps up to the second story entrance which projects from the building. On the west side the building projects in the center. The windows are vertical and narrow and the roof line is flat. The building houses the County Circuit Court, County Chancery Court, County Criminal Court, County General Sessions Court and County Juvenile Court of the 8th Judicial District. On the west side is the County Clerk’s Office.
See: The architect, Martin J Lide of Birmingham, designed courthouses in Alabama in Blount County,, Marshall County, Saint Clair County, Tallapoosa County and Wilcox County and in Tennessee in Anderson County, Grainger County, Roane County and White County.
History: The county was created in 1850 and Maynardville was selected as the county seat. The first circuit court was held at Liberty Meeting-House. In 1858, the first courthouse a brick structure was erected. The second courthouse was built in 1900 and burned on October 23, 1969. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1971 to 1973.
County Courthouse - Maynardville
Office of the Clerk - Maynardville
Photos taken 2012