Grant County is named for Ulysses Simpson Grant ( 1822-1885 ), who was president of the United States, from 1869 to 1877.
Created: January 8, 1873
Inkpa City 1878 – 1881
Milbank 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Milbank
Location: 210 East 5th Avenue / Main Street
Built: 1917 – 1918
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Charles E Bell
Contractor: J B Evans Construction Company of Mexico, Missouri
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray stone structure. The building is constructed of concrete, limestone, asphalt and copper. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has six columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. The east and west wings project and have pediments at the roof line. A balustrade runs along the roof line. In the center is a gold colored dome. Stone columns rise from the second to third stories.
See: The architect Charles E Bell of Minneapolis, Minnesota designed many courthouses.
N – Roberts County
Photos taken 2007, 2016 and 2018