Lancaster County is named for the city of Lancaster in England and the county seat was Lancaster until the name was changed to Lincoln.
Created: March 6, 1855
Lincoln 1859 – present
County Courthouse – Lincoln
Location: 575 South 10th Street / Lincoln Mall
Built: 1967 – 1968
Architect: Hemphill Vierk & Dawason and Clark-Enersen-Olson- Burroughs-Thomsen
Contractor: Alvine Associates
Description: The building faces east and is a three story glass, chrome and stone structure. The east front has vertical diving pillars and further chrome dividers between the windows. There are three entrances in the center. The second story windows are smaller. There is a recessed third story. The roof line is flat. The City Hall is part of the complex and adjoins along the north side. On the south side is the Justice and Law Enforcement Center constructed in 2000.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by F M Ellis and constructed by W H S Stout in 1888. The building was located north of the present courthouse and demolished in 1969.
N – Saunders County
S – Gage County
Photoss taken 2009 and 2010