Austin County is named for Stephen F Austin, who was the person who facilitated the Anglo American colonization of Texas.
Created: March 17, 1836
Bellville 1837 – present
County Courthouse – Bellville
Location: 1 East Main Street / Holland Street
Built: 1960 – 1962
Architect: Wyatt C Hedrick of Fort Worth
Contractor: Krebs Construction, Inc. of Houston
Description: The building faces west and is a three story square concrete, granite and glass structure. The building is located in the center of the Public Square in the center of the city. The first story is glass with narrow metal dividers. The second and third stories are faced with white colored stone and have no windows. There is a clock on the east and west sides of the building. A black stone wall extends on the north and south sides.
Note: The first courthouse was a one story wood frame structure built by Benjamin L Clark in 1848. The second courthouse was a one story frame structure built by Sam Shelburne in 1850. The third courthouse was built by Philip M Cuny in 1855. The fourth courthouse was designed by Eugene Thomas Heiner and constructed by Henry Kane of Gonzales in 1887 at a cost of $37,500. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $511,000.
Note: To the south of the courthouse is the old County Jail constructed in 1896 by Pauly Jail Building Company at a cost of $19,970.. The building is now a museum.
S – Wharton County
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2006 and 2014