Yoakum County

US States / O-U / Texas / Yoakum County
0614TW14

Yoakum County is named for Henderson King Yoakum, who was a soldier, attorney and Texas historian.

 

Created:  August 21, 1876

County Seat: 

Plains  1876 – present

 

County Courthouse – Plains  

 

Location:  601 Cowboy Way / Avenue G

Built:  1948 – 1949

Style:  Moderne

Architect:  Wyatt C Hedrick of Fort Worth

Contractor:  BMFP Construction Company, a partnership composed of F O Bennett, W S Moss and H A Padgett, Jr. of Lubbock

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story yellow colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a projecting center section with entrance on the first story and with vertical yellow colored panels. The east and west wings are recessed. With recessed third story. The roof line is flat. The large courtroom is located at the center of the second story. On the north side is a large addition and on the east a smaller addition constructed in 1975 and connected by a bridge on the second story. The architect was Stiles, Roberts, Messersmith and Johnson of Lubbock and the contractor was Knox, Gailey and Meador. The consulting engineer was Zumwalt and Vinther.

 

See:  The architect, Wyatt C Hedrick of Fort Worth also designed courthouses in Austin County, Brazoria County, Coke County, Comanche County, Kaufman CountyKent County and Motley County.

 

Old County Courthouse – Plains  

 

0624tw14

 

Location:  501 Cowboy Way / Avenue E

Built:  1925 – 1926

Style:  Federal

Architect:  The Butler Company

Contractor:  F M Wallace Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The square shaped building is located on spacious grounds on the west side of the courthouse in the center of the city. There are recessed entrances on the east, south and west sides. A white colored belt runs above the second story windows with decorative brickwork above. The roof line is flat. The building now serves as a museum.  The building was remodeled in 1971. The architect was Stiles, Roberts and  Messersmith of Lubbock and the contractor was Bayer Lumber Company.

 

Note:  The County was unorganized until 1907. The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built in 1908 and which burned in 1926. The second courthouse was constructed in 1925 and the third courthouse constructed in 1948 at a cost of $260,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Cochran County

E – Terry County

S – Gaines County

W – Lea County, New Mexico

 

 

 

0613tw14

County Courthouse

 

 

0615tw14

 

 

0616tw14

 

 

0617tw14

 

 

0618tw14

 

 

0619tw14

 

 

0620tw14

 

 

1146t19

 

 

1147t19

 

 

1148t19

 

 

1149t19

 

 

1150t19

 

 

1151t19

 

 

1152t19

 

 

1153t19

 

 

1156t19

 

 

1155t19

 

 

0621tw14

Old County Courthouse

 

 

0622tw14

 

 

0623tw14

 

 

0625tw14

 

 

1161t19x

 

 

0626tw14

 

 

1162t19

Photos taken 2014 and 2019