Waller County is named for Edwin Waller, who was the first mayor of Austin and a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence.
Created: April 28, 1873
Hempstead 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Hempstead
Location: 836 Austin Street / 9th Street
Built: 1955 – 1956
Architect: Herbert Voelcker
Contractor: Baxter Construction Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red-orange colored brick, concrete, limestone and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds and has a large limestone faced center section framing the entrance. Vertical concrete dividers separate the windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: A courthouse was built in 1877. The previous courthouse was designed by A O Watson and constructed by M Clark in 1894. The building was razed when the present courthouse was constructed.
S – Fort Bend County
Old Courthouse Clock
Courthouse 2006 and 2014