Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Austin County
Created: March 17, 1836
Washington-on-the-Brazos 1837 – 1841
Mount Vernon 1841 – 1844
Brenham 1844 – present
County Courthouse – Brenham
Location: 100 East Main Street / North Park Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Architect: Travis Broesche
Contractor: C L Browning, Jr.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story limestone, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The central section extends from the higher main building and has vertical windows and panels. On the upper part is a clock. The roof line is flat. The District Court courtroom is located on the south side of the third story and the County Court courtroom is located on the south side of the second story. The building is a Public Works Administration project. On the west side of the building is the County Courthouse Annex.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Washington-on-the-Brazos in 1837. The second courthouse was a log structure built in Mount Vernon in 1841. The third courthouse was a two story cedar structure built in Brenham in 1844. The fourth courthouse was a Greek Revival structure designed by Joe Tom, Joe Miller and Hugh Sherrald and constructed by Joe Stamp in 1852 at a cost of $8700. The fifth courthouse was an Italianate structure designed by J N Preston and constructed by Waite & Gardner in 1884. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $200,000.
County Courthouse Annex – Brenham
Location: 100 South Park Street / West Main Street
Built: 1906 – 1907
Description: The building faces east and is a two story cream colored stucco and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city on the west side of the courthouse. The east front has a recessed central section with two columns and recessed glass wall. The windows are located on the second story. The building houses offices. The building was originally the Farmers National Bank. The County remodeled the building in 2010. The architect was Charles Keefe and the contractor was Chapel Hill Construction.
County Courthouse - Brenham
Picture 1852 County Courthouse
Picture 1884 County Courthouse
County Courthouse Annex - Brenham
Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2019