Comanche County

US States / O-U / Texas / Comanche County
2302T14

Comanche County is named for the Comanche Indian tribe that inhabited the region and derives from the Spanish “Camino Ancho” meaning “broad trail”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Eastland County

E – Erath County

S – Hamilton County and Mills County

W – Brown County 

 

Created:  January 25, 1856                    Map of Texas highlighting Comanche County

County Seat: 

Cora            1856 – 1859

Comanche  1859 – present

 

County Courthouse – Comanche

 

Location:  101 West Central Avenue / Austin  Avenue

Built:  1941 – 1942

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Wyatt C Hedrick of Fort Worth

Contractor:  Tom Pate and E E Gage

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story white colored native limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Comanche. The building has high narrow windows and the limestone facing was quarried in the area. Heroic sized cut stone eagles accent the north and south entrances. The wings are one story on either side of the central section. This was a Work Projects Administration project. Located behind the courthouse is the Old Cora Courthouse and to the west is the old stone County Jail at 301 Central Avenue.

 

See:  The architect, Wyatt C Hedrick of Fort Worth also designed courthouses in Austin CountyBrazoria CountyCoke CountyKaufman County, Kent County, Motley CountyWalker County and Yoakum County.

 

Old Cora Courthouse – Comanche

 

2322t14

 

Location:  101 West Central Avenue / Austin  Avenue

Built:  1856

Style:  Log Cabin

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a one story log cabin structure. The building is located on the southwest corner of the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Comanche.  The building is a split log structure with two one room sections with hipped roof covering both sections. There is an open fireplace. The building which also served as the post office was moved from Cora which served as the first county seat from 1856 to 1859. The building is the oldest standing former courthouse in Texas.

 

History:  The county was created in 1856 and Cora was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in 1856 and is still standing. The county seat was moved to Comanche in 1859 and a one room building made of pickets called Silas Pickett’s building was rented until the second courthouse, a two story red colored brick structure was designed by Martin V Fleming and built by Martin, Byrne & Johnston in 1876 at a cost of $12,000. The third courthouse was a stone structure designed by Lamour and Watson and constructed by Moody & Ellis in 1890 at a cost of $76,000. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1941 to 1942 at a cost of $195,000. The native stone was quarried about six miles west of Comanche. 

 

 

2301t14

County Courthouse – Comanche

 

 

2303t14

 

 

2305t14

 

 

2307t14

 

 

2308t14

 

 

2309t14

 

 

2312t14

 

 

2314t14

 

 

2315t14

 

 

2317t14

Picture 1875 County Courthouse

 

 

2318t14

Picture 1890 County Courthouse

 

 

2321t14

Old Cora Courthouse – Comanche

 

 

2327t14

 

 

2324t14

 

 

2325t14

 

 

2330t14

 

 

2320t14

 

 

2331t14

Old County Jail – Commanche

 

 

2332t14

 

 

2333t14

Photos taken 2006 and 2014