Coke County is named for Robert Coke, who was the fifteenth governor of Texas from 1874 to 1876.
Created: March 13, 1889
Hayrick 1889 – 1890
Robert Lee 1890 – present
County Courthouse – Robert Lee
Location: 13 7th Street / Commerce Street
Built: 1955 – 1956
Architect: Wyatt C Hedrick and Harry Weaver
Contractor: Suggs Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a high rectangular center section with vertical and horizontal dividers. The central entrance is on the first story with glass panel walls on either side. The east and west wings are one story with a recessed second story along the south side of the building. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was a log structure built in Hayrick in 1889. The second and previous courthouse was designed by Oscar Ruffini and the contractor was Martin, Byrne & Johnston in Robert Lee in 1891. The building was demolished in 1955.
E – Runnels County
S – Tom Green County
W – Sterling County
Photos taken 2014