Brazoria County

US States / O-U / Texas / Brazoria County
0709T14

Brazoria County is named for the Brazos River which flows through the county and which was called by the Spanish as “Rio de los Brazos de Dios” meaning “the river of the arms of God”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Harris County

E – Galveston County and Gulf of Mexico

S – Matagorda County 

W – Wharton County and Fort Bend County

Created:  March 17, 1836                       Map of Texas highlighting Brazoria County

County Seat: 

Brazoria    1836 – 1896

Angelton   1896 – present

 

County Courthouse – Angelton

Location:  111 East Locust Street / North Velasco Street

Built:  1939 – 1940

Style:  Moderne

Architect:  Lamar Q Cato

Contractor:  Knutson Construction of Houston

Description:  The building faces south and is a five story buff colored brick and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Angelton. The building has narrow vertical windows in the center of the south front. On either side, the building projects slightly and then returns to the front line. At the top of the front is a clock. On the front, metal panels depict the industries of the area being fishing, cattle, chemicals and agriculture. The roof line is flat. The building is connected by a large atrium to the modern courthouse annex on the north side. In the interior, the ornamentation is Art Deco with a large County Seal  on the floor of the second story.  The courtroom is located on the third story. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Court at Law.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Angelton

0730t14

 

Location:  111 East Locust Street / North Velasco Street

Built:  1974 – 1976

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Wyatt C Hedrick Architects & Engineers Inc.

Contractor:  Lebco Inc.

Description:  The building faces south and is a four story brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Angelton. The building is a large box shape with glass panels on north side. The building is located on the north side of the courthouse and is connected by a large atrium which has glass walls on the east and west sides and open stairs. The wall of the courthouse forms the south side of the atrium.

 

See:  The architect, Wyatt C Hedrick of Fort Worth also designed courthouses in Austin CountyCoke CountyComanche County, Kaufman County, Kent County, Motley CountyWalker County and Yoakum County.

 

Old County Courthouse – Angelton

0741t14

 

Location:  100 East Cedar Street  / North Velasco Street

Built:  1896 – 1897

Style:  Italianate Renaissance

Architect:  Eugene T Heiner

Contractor:  Tom Lovell

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Angelton  on the north side of the courthouse. The south front has a central entrance with small balcony on the second story with arched window. The center section projects slightly from the main building. The east and west wings also project. The roof line is flat. The building was enlarged in 1916 and 1920. The architect was John McLelland and the contractor was J A Booth. The building was restored in 1932 after a hurricane. The architect was J A Tempest. The building now houses the Brazoria County Museum.

 

See:  The contractor, Tom Lovell of Denton, also constructed courthouses in  Brewster CountyCoryell CountyDenton CountyHamilton CountyHardeman CountyHill CountyMcLennan County and Runnels County.

 

County West Courthouse Annex – Angelton

0746t14

 

Location:  451 North Velasco Street / E Locust Street

Built:  2001 – 2003

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Diagnostics Inc. of Houston

Contractor:  Coastland Construction Inc. of Angleton

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Angelton to the west of the courthouse. The building is rectangular with a raised central arched entrance on the east and west sides. The roof line is flat.

 

History:  The county was created in 1836 and Brazoria was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story wood frame structure built in 1839. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure designed by James Riely Gordon and constructed by Thomas Lovell & Hood in 1894 at a cost of $90,000. The courthouse was demolished in 1930. The county seat was moved to Angleton in 1896. The third courthouse was constructed in 1896 to 1897 and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1939 to 1940. The County Courthouse Annex was constructed in 1974 to 1976. The County Courthouse West Annex was constructed  in 2001 to 2003.

 

 

0718t14

County Courthouse – Angelton

 

 

0717t14

 

 

0719t14

 

 

0710t14

 

 

0711t14

 

 

0713t14

 

 

0714t14

 

 

0715t14

 

 

0720t14

 

 

0721t14

 

 

0722t14

 

 

0723t14

 

 

0724t14

 

 

0729t14

County Courthouse Annex – Angelton

 

 

0731t14

 

 

0728t14

 

 

0733t14

 

 

0734t14

 

 

0738t14

 

 

0740t14

Old County Courthouse – Angelton

 

 

0742t14

 

 

0743t14

 

 

0744t14

 

 

0745t14

 

 

0747t14

County West Courthouse Annex – Angelton

 

 

0750t14

 

 

0749t14

 

 

0751t14

 

 

0752t14

Photos taken 2006 and 2014