Motley County is named for Junius William Mottley, who was a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence ( error in name spelling ).
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Cottle County
S – Dickens County
W – Floyd County
Created: August 21, 1876
Matador 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Matador
Location: 701 Dundee Avenue / Main Street
Built: 1947 – 1948
Architect: Wyatt C Hedrick of Fort Worth
Contractor: BMFP Construction Company, a partnership composed of F O Bennett, W S Moss and H A Padgett, Jr. of Lubbock
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. The building is rectangular with a recessed center section. There are yellow colored panels between the first and second story windows. The roof line is flat.
See: The architect, Wyatt C Hedrick of Fort Worth also designed courthouses in Austin County, Brazoria County, Coke County, Comanche County, Kaufman County, Kent County, Walker County and Yoakum County.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1892 and burned in 1894. The second courthouse was constructed by John A White in 1894 and the building burned in 1944.
County Courthouse - Matador
Picture 1894 County Courthouse
Photos taken 2014