Fayette County

US States / O-U / Texas / Fayette County
Fayette

Fayette County is named for the estate of the Marquis de Lafayette in France, which means “the meadow” in French.

 

Created:  December 14, 1837

County Seat: 

La Grange  1838 – present

 

County Courthouse – La Grange  

 

Location:  151 North Washington Street / West Travis Street

Built:  1890 – 1891

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  James Riely Gordon of San Antonio

Contractor:  Martin, Byrne & Johnston

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a three story course gray colored stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The exterior walls are Belton limestone complemented with blue sandstone quarried at nearby Muldoon. Red Pecos sandstone form the horizontal moldings, and there are pink Burnet granite columns and steps. At the base of the clock tower is a large stone slab on which is carved a large American eagle. Above the arched entrance rises the square stone tower with clock and carved griffins on each corner. The roof is covered with Spanish tile. The interior has a center atrium with skylight and fountain. The building was restored in 2004. The architect was Volz & Associates, Inc. and the contractor was C P Snider Construction Company, Inc.

 

See:  The architect James Riely Gordon of San Antonio, Texas

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in La Grange in 1838. The second courthouse was a two story frame structure built by P C Beale in 1847. The third courthouse was two story masonry structure designed by Carl Wilhelm von Rosenburg and constructed by H L Kreische in 1857. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $87,356.

 

Precinct Courthouse – Fayetteville

 

0079t17

 

Location:  Washington Street / Main Street

Built:  1880

Style:  Wood Frame Victorian

Architect:  Local citizens

Contractor:  Local citizens

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and was built as a precinct courthouses. The building is square shaped. The walls are cedar boards and the windows are original poured sheet glass. A utilitarian staircase leads to the two jail cells built in 1887 and the clock tower.

 

Note:  The cost of construction was $800 with most of the cost being raised from the local citizens. The clock was donated by a ladies’ club in 1934.

 

Precinct Courthouse – Round Top

 

0094t17

 

Location:  Washington Street / Main Street

Built:  1880

Style:  Wood Frame

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces northwest is a two story white colored wood frame structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and is square shaped and is located on landscaped grounds. The red colored hipped rood has a square cupola at the center. The building is a replica of the original courthouse.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Lee County and Washington County

E – Austin County and Colorado County

S – Lavaca County and Gonzales County

W – Caldwell County and Bastrop County

 

 

 

378texas06

County Courthouse

 

 

x_0

 

 

0514t14

 

 

0510t14

 

 

0515t14

 

 

0516t14

 

 

0518t14

 

 

0521t14

 

 

0112t17

 

 

0522t14

 

 

0524t14

 

 

0525t14

 

 

0526t14

 

 

0527t14

 

 

0117t17

 

 

0528t14

 

 

0529t14

 

 

0119t17

 

 

0081t17

Precinct Courthouse – Fayetteville

 

 

0085t17

 

 

0086t17

 

 

0087t17

 

 

0093t17

Precinct Courthouse – Round Top

 

 

0095t17

 

 

0096t17

 

 

0098t17

Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2017