Wharton County is named for William Harris Wharton and John Austin Wharton, who were brothers and leaders in the revolutionary Texas.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Matagorda County
W – Jackson County
Created: April 3, 1846
Wharton 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Wharton
Location: 100 Fulton Street / West Milam Street
Built: 1888 – 1989
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Eugene T Heiner
Contractor: J M Mather.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located at the center of the spacious courthouse square. The building has projecting east and west sections rising to pediments at the roof line. The center section projects slightly with entrance on the first story and arched window on the third story with small pediment and parapet above. The corners of the building have stone trim. On the center of the roof is a large square clock tower with four arched windows with pediment and clock at the top. The building was remodeled in 1935. The architect was J W Dahnert and the contractor was Kronzer Construction Company. The building was further remodeled in 1949. The architect was Wyatt C Hedrick. The building was restored in 2007. The architect was Bailey Architects and the contractor was Stoddart Construction. The District Court is located in a one story building across from the courthouse on the southeast corner of Fulton Street and Milam Street.
Note: The first court met at the home of Daniel Kincheloe. The first courthouse was a frame structure built in 1848. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1851. The bricks for the third and present courthouse were made from clay from the Colorado River banks.
County Courthouse - Wharton
County District Court Building - Wharton
Photos taken 2014