Washington County

US States / N / New York / Washington County
Washington

Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.

 

Created:  March 12, 1772

County Seat:

Hudson Falls  1772 – 1993

Salem             1772 – 1993

Fort Edward    1993 – present

 

County Courthouse – Fort Edward

 

Location:  383 Upper Broadway / Schuyler Street

Built:  1959 – 1961

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Milton Lee Crandell

Contractor:  Sweet Association Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Fort Edward. The east entrance is recessed with a peaked brick section above. Behind is a glass section rising to a peak. The north section has white vertical trim and wide bands along the flat roof line. The windows are in horizontal sections.

 

County Administration – Fort Edward

 

1023k10

 

Location:  383 Upper Broadway / Schuyler Street

Built:  1959 – 1961

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Milton Lee Crandell

Contractor:  Sweet Association Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Fort Edward. The east entrance is recessed with a peaked brick section above. Behind is a glass section rising to a peak. The north section has white vertical trim and wide bands along the flat roof line. The windows are in horizontal sections.

 

Old County Courthouse – Hudson Falls

 

1037k10

 

Location:  122 Main Street / Maple Street

Built:  1873 – 1874

Style:  French Renaissance

Architect:  Marcus Cummings of Troy

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The west front has a small portico at the entrance. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Hudson Falls. The windows are arched. There is a mansard roof. The building served as a courthouse until 1993. The building is now the La Cocina Restaurant.

 

Note:  A previous courthouse was built in 1806.

 

Old County Courthouse – Salem

 

0661ne17

 

Location:  58 East Broadway / Cato Street

Built:  1869 – 1870

Style:  French Renaissance

Architect:  Marcus Cummings of Troy

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story cream colored brick structure. Tjhe building is located on landscaped grounds in the center od Salem. The west front has a one story porch supported by four pillars with recessed arched entrance. The windows are arched. The hipped roof has a dormer on the west side. The large courtroom is located on the second story. The building served as the second shire courthouse until 1993. The building is now the Historic Salem Courthouse Community Center. Attached on the east side, is the old jail designed by William J Beardsley in 1906.

 

Note:  The cost of construction was $30,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Essex County

E – Addison County, Vermont, Rutland County, Vermont and Bennington County, Vermont

S – Resselaer County

W – Saratoga County and Warren County

 

 

 

1031k10

County Courthouse – Fort Edward

 

 

1032k10

 

 

1033k10

 

 

1029k10

 

 

1026k10

 

 

1028k10               

 

 

1024k10

 

 

1037k10_0

 

 

1038k10

 

 

1035k10

 

 

1039k10

 

 

0660ne17

 

 

0663ne17

 

 

0664ne17

 

 

0665ne17

 

 

0666ne17

 

 

0668ne17

 

 

0670ne17

 

 

0671ne17

 

 

0672ne17

 

 

0673ne17

 

 

0674ne17

 

 

0675ne17

Photos taken 2010 and 2017