Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.
Created: March 11, 1808
Malone 1808 – present
County Courthouse – Malone
Location: 63 West Main Street / Brewster Street
Built: 1930 – 1931
Architect: William J Beardsley of Poughkeepsie
Contractor: M E Ryan Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story brownish colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a projecting center section with three arched entrances on the first story. The east and west wings project from the main building. The front has vertical dividing pillars. The roof line is flat. Part of the old red colored brick courthouse is located on the west side. The modern four story addition constructed in 2010 is located on the north side and is connected to the courthouse.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1811 to 1812 at a cost of $4,757.25. The second courthouse was built in 1852 and the third courthouse was designed by Marcus Cumming and was built in 1882 at a cost of $35,000. The building was remodeled for use as the Clerk’s Office when the present courthouse was constructed on the east and south sides.
N – Quebec, Canada
Remaining Section of the Old County Courthouse
County Courthouse Addition
Photos taken 2010 and 2014