Addison County is named for Joseph Addison, who was an English politician and a writer.
Created: October 18, 1785
Middlebury 1790 – present
County Courthouse – Middlebury
Location: 7 Mahady Court / Court Street
Built: 1995 – 1996
Style: Modern Queen Anne
Architect: J Graham Goldsmith of Burlington
Description: The building faces west and is a two red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a long one story porch supported by seven columns. The center section of the building projects and rises to a peaked roof with circular window at the top. The roof is hipped. The building is named as the Judge Frank Mahady Courthouse. The building is located east of the old courthouse.
Old County Courthouse – Middlebury
Location: 5 Court Street / Mahady Court
Built: 1882 – 1883
Style: Queen Anne
Architect: Clinton Smith and William Allan of Middlebury
Contractor: Clinton Smith of Middlebury
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The west front has a one story portico at the entrance and above is an arched window. The northwest corner has a three story red colored brick tower with steep roof. The southwest corner has a square tower rising to a hipped roof with square white colored cupola. The hipped roof has a dormer on the west side and gable ends along the sides of the building. The building is now owned by the Middlebury College.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1796. In 1882, the building was moved to Court Street and torn down in 1939.
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2014 and 2018