Rensselaer County is named for Kiliaen Van Rensselaer, who was the original Dutch owner of the land in the area.
Created: March 24, 1791
Troy 1791 – present
County Courthouse – Troy
Location: 80 Second Street / Congress Street
Built: 1894 – 1898
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Marcus Cummings and Frederick Cummings of Troy
Contractor: Charles Duncan
Description: The building faces west and is a gray colored granite stone structure. The west front has three large arches on the first story. Six columns rise from the second story to the top[ of the third story with large pediment at the roof line The roof line is flat with a balustrade running along the edge of the roof. An addition was added in 1915. In 1967, a further addition was constructed. The architect was John G Waite.
S – Columbia County
Photos taken 2006 and 2014