Saratoga County is named for the Native American word meaning “the hill beside the river”.
Created: February 7. 1791
Ballston Spa 1791 – present
County Courthouse – Ballston Spa
Location: 30 McMaster Street / Remsen Street
Built: 1967 – 1968
Architect: Cadman & Droste of Troy
Contractor: Hanson Construction Company of Scotia
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has a recessed first story. The second story has projecting vertical window frames with recessed window. The building is part of the Saratoga County Complex. The roof line is flat.
Note: The bid by Hanson Construction Company was $1,850,000. Other bids were Campito Plumbing and Heating Inc. of Albany for mechanical work at $516,609, Trojan Hardware Company for plumbing at $327,000 and Smith Electric Company of Cohoes for electrical at $229,439.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1818. The previous courthouse was designed by M F Cumings and built in 1889.
See: The Judicial District 4 is located at Saratogo Springs.
County Administration – Ballston Spa
Location: 40 McMaster Street / Remsen Street
Built: 1955 – 1956
Architect: Milton Lee Crandell
Contractor: Frank E Antolick.
Description: The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped ground. The building forms an “L” shape with a south wing. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Clerks Office and Supervisors Building.
N – Warren County
Photos taken 2010 and 2017