Rutland County is named for the Town of Rutland which was named for John Manner, who was the 3rd Duke of Rutland.
Created: February 22, 1781
Rutland 1781 – present
County Courthouse – Rutland
Location: 83 Center Street / Court Street
Built: 1869 – 1870
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: J J R Randall of Rutland
Contractor: John Kain of Rutland
Description: The building faces south and is a red colored brick style structure. The south front has a projecting center section with porch on the first story with four white colored Doric columns at the entrance a further columns on the east side.. On the second story are arched windows with glass fronted pediment at the roof line. On the roof is a clock tower with large square base rising to a four sided clock and octagonal cupola with red colored roof. The roof is hipped. An addition was constructed on the north side in 1954.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1784. The second courthouse was built in 1792 and was destroyed by fire in 1868. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $72,000.
County District Courthouse – Rutland
Location: 89 Merchants Row / State Street
Built: 2009 – 2010
Description: The building faces east and is two story red colored brick and concrete structure.
E – Windsor County
W – Washington County, New York
Photos taken 2014