Saint Lawrence County

US States / N / New York / Saint Lawrence County
St. Lawrence

Saint Lawrence County is named for the Saint Lawrence River which forms the northern boundary of the county.

 

Created:  February 16, 1791

County Seat:

Oswegatchie  1802 – 1804

Ogdensburg   1804 – 1828

Canton           1828 – present

 

County Courthouse – Canton

 

Location:  48 Court Street / Judson Street

Built:  1893 – 1895

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  James P Johnson of Ogdensburg

Contractor:  Evans & Ackerman of Binghamton

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story gray colored Gouveneur ashlar stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the east side of the city center and is the southerly section with the Clerk’s Office and New Addition on the north side. The west front has a projecting center section with three large red colored Potsdam sandstone arches on the first story with three arched windows on the second story rising to a peak with the Scales of Justice at the top. On the north side is a high five story tower with steep roof. On the south side is a rounded end. The baser of the building is red colored sandstone. In 1925, fire damaged the building but the exterior walls survived and the building was rebuilt. The architect was Samuel D P Williams and the contractor was  Munn & Shea of Montreal, Quebec. On the southeast side is the County Jail and on the south is the ols Sheriff Residence.

 

Note:  Previous courthouse built in 1829 to 1830 at a cost of $6,800. An addition was built in 1851. The building burned on February 21, 1893.

 

County Clerk’s Office – Canton

 

0858k10

 

Location:  48 Court Street / Judson Street

Built:  1924 – 1925

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  Samuel D P Williams

Contractor:  Munn & Shea of Montreal, Quebec

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story gray colored Gouveneur ashlar stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds with the courthouse along the south and the New Addition on the north side. An addition was constructed in 1958. The architect was Sargent-Webster-Crenshaw & Folley and the contractor was R D Golden.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Canton

 

0862k10

 

Location:  48 Court Street / Judson Street

Built:  1993 – 1994

Style:  Modern Romanesque

Architect:  Einhorn, Yaffee and Prescott (EYP) of Albany

Contractor:  Murnane Building Contractors, Inc. of Plattsburgh.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story gray colored Gouveneur ashlar stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and is the northerly section of the courthouse complex.

 

Note:  The cost of construction was $7,000,000.

 

Courthouses: 

North – Ontario, Canada and Quebec, Canada 

East   – Franklin County

South – Hamilton County, Herkimer County, Lewis County and Jefferson County

West   – Ontatio, Canada

 

  

 

0854k10

County Courthouse

 

 

0845k10

 

 

0847k10

 

 

0848k10

 

 

0849k10

 

 

0850k10

 

 

0852k10

 

 

2246m18

 

 

2245m18

 

 

2247m18

 

 

2248m18

 

 

2249m18

 

 

2250m18

 

 

2251m18

 

 

2253m18

 

 

2254m18

 

 

2255m18

 

 

0859k10

Clerk’s Office

 

 

0856k10

 

 

2243m18

 

 

2244m18

 

 

2241m18

 

 

0857k10

New Addition

 

 

2237m18

 

 

2238m18

 

 

2239m18

 

 

2240m18

 

 

2242m18

 

0863k10

County Jail

 

 

2258m18

Old Sheriff Residence

Photos taken 2010 and 2018