Montgomery County

US States / N / New York / Montgomery County
Montgomery -O

Montgomery County is named for Richard Montgomery, who was a United States general killed in the American Revolutionary War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Fulton County

E – Saratoga County and Schenectady County

S – Albany County,

W – Herkimer County

 

Created:  March 12, 1772                       Map of New York highlighting Montgomery County

County Seat:

Johnstown ( Fulton )  1772 – 1836

Fonda                        1836 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Fonda

 

Location:  9 Park Street / Broadway

Built:  1836 – 1837

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Lawrence Marcellus and Henry Holmes.

Contractor:  Lawrence Marcellus and Henry Holmes.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story white colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Fonda. The north front has a wide porch with four large columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The entrance is recessed. On the center of the roof is a large green colored roofed dome with cupola at the top.

 

County Courthouse – Fonda

 

1125k10

 

Location:  58 Broadway / Court Street

Built:  1892 – 1893

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:  Fuller & Wheeler

Contractor:  Owen Ganna

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north side of the center of Fonda. The south front has a high central square red colored brick tower with open section at the third story and steep roof. At the base of the tower is the arched recessed entrance. A one story addition was added on the north side in 1987. The architect was William E Cooper and the contractor was Mantei & Son Construction Company.

 
See:  The 4th Judicial District is located at 101 State Farm Place in Malta and includes Clinton CountyEssex CountyFranklin County, Fulton CountyHamilton County, Saint Lawrence County, Saratoga County, Schenectady County, Warren County and Washington County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1772 and the first county seat was Johnstown now in Fulton County. The first courthouse was built in 1772 and is still standing. The county seat was moved to Fonda in 1836 and the second courthouse was built in 1836 t0 1837 and is still standing. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1892 to 1893.

 

County Administration – Fonda

 

1122k10

 

Location:  58 Broadway / Court Street

Built:  1962 – 1963

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Cooper and Blase

Contractor:  Hanson Construction Corporation.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north side of the center of Fonda. The east wing is one story. The west wing is two stories with white colored panels between the first and second story windows. The roof line of both section is flat.

 

 

 

 

 

1113k10

Old County Courthouse – Fonda

 

 

1115k10

 

 

1116k10

 

 

1117k10

 

 

1118k10

 

 

1119k10

 

 

1130k10

County Courthouse – Fonda

 

 

1126k10

 

 

1129k10

 

 

1131k10

 

 

1120k10

County Administration – Fonda

 

 

1121k10

 

 

1124k10

Photos taken 2010