Essex County is named for the County of Essex in England.
Created: March 1, 1799
Essex 1799 – 1811
Elizabethtown 1811 – present
County Courthouse – Elizabethtown
Location: 7559 Court Street / Williams Street
Built: 1995 – 1996
Architect: Einhorn, Yaffee and Prescott (EYP) of Albany
Contractor: BBL Construction Services
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Elizabethtown. The east front has a large portico supported by four thin white colored columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. Above the entrance are large glass windows. The center section projects from the main building. A white colored horizontal band runs below the roof line. The roof line is flat. The County Government Complex includes the Court House on the north side, Probate Court Building, Auditors Building, Board of Supervisors Building, Old Court House and Family Services Building on the south side.
Old County Courthouse – Elizabethtown
Location: 7524 Court Street / Park Street
Built: 1823 – 1825
Style: Greek Revival
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Elizabethtown. The east front has a wide portico supported by four white columns with a pediment above. On either side of the entrance are long vertical windows. Above the pediment is a square white wood cupola. In 1843 a second story was added for a courtroom, and in 1880, the second story was removed and an addition constructed on the west side. The building was renovated in 1910. The architect was Lineham, Burnham Company.
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2010 and 2018