Schenectady County is named for a Mohawk word meaning “on the other side of the pine lands”.
Created: March 7, 1809
Schenectady 1809 – present
County Courthouse – Schenectady
Location: 612 State Street / Lafayette Street
Built: 1917 – 1918
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: W L Stoddart
Contractor: John McDermott
Description: The building faces north and is a four story structure. The north front has a recessed porch with six columns rising to a wide header at the top of the third story. The fourth story is recessed. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Schenectady
Location: 108 Union Street / North Ferry Road
Built: 1831 – 1833
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: John W Teller
Description: The building faces north and is a two story white colored brick structure. The south front has a large porch with six high columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped. The building served as the courthouse until 1913. In 2012, the building was being renovated by Raz Mahoutian.
E – Saratoga County
Photis taken 2010 and 2014