Bennington County is named for Bennington Wentworth, who was the governor of the New Hampshire Grants.
Created: February 11, 1779
Bennington 1781 – present
Manchester 1781 – present
County Courthouse – Bennington ( Southshire )
Location: 207 South Street / Franklin Lane
Built: 1935 – 1936
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Alfred Olivia St. Jean of Bennington
Description: The building faces east and is a two story building is a red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a portico supported by four high white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a small cupola with gold colored dome. The building was a Works Project Administration project.
Note: The courthouse built in 1846 was destroyed by fire in 1869. The previous courthouse was built in 1870 to 1872. The present courthouse s a replica of the 1846 courthouse.
District Courthouse – Bennington ( Southshire )
Location: 160 Veterans Memorial Drive / North Street
Built: 2010 – 2012
Architect: William Maclay Architects and Ricci Greene Associates
Contractor: DEW Construction Company
Description: The building faces southwest and is a red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. On the front there is a projecting east section with entrance on the west side and a recessed west section. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Superior Court and State Office Building.
Old County Courthouse – Bennington ( Southshire )
Location: 109 South Street / Main Street
Built: 1870 – 1870
Architect: Hobbs & Sons of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Contractor: Henry Putnam
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building forms part of the row of buildings along South Street. There is a central entrance with curved canopy above. A large arched window dominates the second story flanked by smaller arched windows. The building served as courthouse until 1937 when the present courthouse was completed and is now the Pennysaver Press.
County Courthouse – Manchester ( Northshire )
Location: Main Street / Union Street
Built: 1822 – 1823
Style: Classical Revival
Description: The building faces west and is a yellow colored brick structure. The building has a central entrance on the first story. The roof is gabled with a large square white colored cupola at the front of the building, rising to an octagonal cupola with gold colored dome at the top. The windows have green colored shutters. The building was enlarged in 1849. The Village Office occupies the lower section on the east side.
Note: The courthouse was built by subscription and it is presumed that the Village of Manchester supervised the construction.
Photos taken 2006, 2014 and 2017