Chautauqua County is named for a Seneca word meaning “where the fish are taken out”.
Created: March 11, 1808
Mayville 1811 – present
County Courthouse – Mayville
Location: 1 North Erie Street / East Chautauqua Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William J Beardsley of Poughkeepsie
Contractor: Ernest J Bailey of Shellberg, Linquist & Bailey
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story buff colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Mayville. The southwest front has a large portico supported by four high columns with wide pediment above at the roof line. The recessed entrance and the windows on either side, have small pediments at the top. On the center of the roof is a round dome with black colored roof.
Note: The first and previous courthouse was constructed by Benjamin Rathbun in Mayville in 1834.
County Administration – Mayville
Location: 3 North Erie Street / East Chautauqua Street
Built: 1967 – 1968
Architect: Naetzker-Thorsell and Dove
Contractor: Hydro Construction Company
Description: The building faces northwest and is a four story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Mayville on the west side of the courthouse.The northwest front has a one story entrance section with rounded roof. The courthouse is located along the southeast side of the building.
Photos taken 2010