Erie County is named for the Erie Native American tribe.
Created: April 2, 1821
Buffalo 1821 – present
Old County Courthouse – Buffalo
Location: 92 Franklin Street / Church Street
Built: 1871 – 1876
Style: High Victorian Romanesque and Norman Romanesque
Architect: Andrew Jackson Warner of Rochester
Contractor: S H Fields and John Druer
Description: The building faces east and is a three story gray colored granite structure. The granite came from Clark Island, Maine. The east front has a high seven story clock tower with two arches on the first story. The sculpture on the central tower was completed by Giovanni F Sala. The building was renovated in 1925 and the architect was Harold Jewett Cook. Alterations were made in 1935. The architect was A John Ort and Stephen L Clergy. The building was renovated in 1959 to 1962. The architect was Pfohl, Stoll & Roberts. The building was renovated in 1980 and the architect was Milstein, Wittek and Davis.
Note: There was no general contractor and S H Fields was hired as Superintendent of Construction and John Druer was hired as Assistant Superintendent. There were 42 separate contracts let for the construction. The cost of construction of the courthouse was $1,450,000. The building also served as City Hall until 1932.
County Courthouse – Buffalo
Location: 25 Delaware Avenue / Church Street
Built: 1962 – 1964
Architect: Milstein Wittek & Davis
Description: The building faces west and is a nine story stone, glass and concrete structure. The west front has vertical dividers. The north and south sides have no windows. The roof line is flat. The building is connected to the old courthouse on the east side.
N – Niagara County
W – Lake Erie and Ontario, Canada
Photos taken 2010