Allegany County is named for Allegheny River, which name comes from the Lenape word “welhik” or “oolikanna”, which means “best flowing river of the hills’ or “beautiful stream”.
Created: April 7, 1806
Angelica 1806 – 1858
Belmont 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Belmont
Location: 7 Court Street / North Court Street
Built: 1937 – 1938
Architect: Carl C Ade
Contractor: Langford & Whitford.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The central section of the south front extends from the main building and has six vertical white colored pillars with a wide horizontal header at the roof line. There is a wide cornice with balustrade along the flat roof line. The entrance on the first story has white colored trim with a small pediment at the top. During construction, the superintendent was James S Downie.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1859. The building was demolished in 1938.
Old County Courthouse – Angelica
Location: 59 Park Circle
Description: The building faces north and is a two story gray colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of the town circle. The building served as a courthouse until 1892 and now serves as the Angelica Town Hall.
E – Steuben County
Photos taken 2010 and 2011