Erie County is named for Lake Erie which was named after the Erie Native American tribe.
Created: March 12, 1800
Erie 1800 – present
County Courthouse – Erie
Location: 140 West 6th Street / Sassafras Street
Built: 1853 – 1855
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Thomas Ustick Walter of Philadelphia
Contractor: John Hill ( carpentry ), William Hoskinson ( masonry ), Cadwell & Bennett ( roof )
Description: The building faces south and is a three story gray colored stone structure. The south front has two sections with six columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The entrances are recessed. Between the sections is a one story semi circular section with glass panels. The west section was built in 1855, and the east section was built in 1927. In 1889 to 1890, the building was extended north 40 feet by 60 feet. The architect was Gray, Webber and Karnes. In 1927 to 1930, the east wing was constructed. The architect was Walter L Monahan of Erie. In 1977, an addition was constructed on the north side. In 2001, the building was restored by Fiske & Sons. In 2005 to 2006, the center entrance section was constructed connecting the east and west wings. The architect was Michael Grab, Architect of Erie and the contractor was Considine-Biebel & Company of Erie. The historic courtroom is located on the second story of the west wing.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1808 which was destroyed by fire in 1823. The second courthouse was built by Thomas Mehaffey and Joseph Henderson in 1824 to 1825. William Benson and William Himrod of Waterford did the carpentry work. During construction of the present courthouse, John Hill was employed to supervise construction as well as doing the carpentry, William Hoskinson did the masonry, Daniel Young of Erie furnished the brick, William Judson & Company of Warefird supplied the timber and lumber, Levi Howard supplied the stone and Cadwell & Bennett of Erie did the roofing. The cost of construction was $63,000.
N – Lake Erie and Ontario, Canada
S – Crawford County
W – Ashtabula County and Lake Erie
Photos taken 2010