Niagara County is named for the Iroquoian word meaning “a neck” between two bodies of water or “thunder of waters”, or “bisected bottom land”.
Created: March 11, 1808
Buffalo 1808 – 1822
Lockport 1822 – present
County Courthouse – Lockport
Location: 175 Hawley Street / Niagara Street
Built: 1885 – 1886
Style: Second Empire
Architect: M E Beebe and Sons of Buffalo
Contractor: William J Blackley of Lockport
Description: The building faces east and is a two story brown colored course stone structure. The east front has a large stone portico with three arched entrances on the first story. Six columns rise from the second story to the top of the second story with a pediment at the roof line. The roof is mansard with a large round white dome on the center of the roof. An addition was constructed from 1914 to 1917. The architect was Chester R Phelps of Niagara Falls and the contractor was Johnmoon. An addition was constructed on the north side from 1957 to 1958. The architect was Cannon, Thiele, Betz & Cannon and the contractor was Albert Elia Building Company Inc.
Note: The cost of construction was $68,000. The cost of construction of the wing in 1957 was $699,447.
County Clerk’s Office – Lockport
Location: 139 Niagara Street / Hawley Street
Built: 1856 – 1857
Style: Classical Revival
Description: The building faces south and is a one story gray colored limestone structure. The building was enlarged in 1917. The architect was Chester R Phelps of Niagara Falls.
County Administration – Lockport
Location: 59 Park Avenue / Hawley Street
Built: 1972 – 1973
Architect: William W Whitmore
Contractor: Vintuoso Building Company Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular building is named as the the Niagara County Office Building.
N – Lake Ontario and Ontario, Canada
S – Erie County
W – Ontario, Canada
Photos taken 2010