Greene County is named for Nathanael Greene, who was a general during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: March 30, 1802
Catskill 1802 – present
County Courthouse – Catskill
Location: 320 Main Street / Bridge Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William J Beardsley of Poughkeepsie
Contractor: Peter Keeler Building Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story structure. The west front has a large portico with four high columns rising to a pediment with frieze at the roof line. A balustrade runs along the top of the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large black colored dome. The large courtroom is located on the south side of the second story. An addition was constructed on the south side in 2010. The architect was Environ Architect and the contractor was The Palombo Group.
Old County Courthouse – Catskill
Location: 2 Franklin Street / Bridge Street
Built: 1811 – 1812
Style: Greek Revival
Description: The building faces west and is a two story blue colored brick structure. The west front has a one story porch supported by four white colored columns. On the second story is arched. The roof is hipped. The foundation is stone. The building served as the courthouse until 1909 and then served as the Masonic Temple and now houses a law firm.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1801 and burned in 1811.
E – Columbia County
S – Ulster County
W – Delaware County
Photos taken 2014 and 2017