Cattaraugus County is named for a Seneca word meaning “bad smelling banks” referring to the odor of natural gas which leaked from local rock formations.
Created: March 11, 1808
Ellicottville 1817 – 1868
Little Valley 1868 – present
County Courthouse – Little Valley
Location: 303 Court Street / 8th Street
Built: 1964 – 1967
Architect: Nilstein, Witter, Davis & Hamilton
Contractor: Siegfried Construction Company Inc.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The central entrance on the southwest front has a small canopy over the first story entrance with a white stone section above with the county crest. White horizontal bands run between the windows and along the flat roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Horatio Nelson White and constructed by Porter Welch in 1868.
Old County Courthouse – Ellicottville
Location: 1 West Washington Street / Jefferson Street
Architect: William Stillwell, Andrew Mead and Abner Chase
Contractor: William Stillwell, Andrew Mead and Abner Chase
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The south front has a central entrance with arched window above on the second story. The roof has Dutch gables along the roof line. The building has a limestone foundation. On the roof is an hexagonal white colored octagonal wood cupola. The building served as the courthouse until 1868 and is now the City Hall.
E – Alleghany County
Photos taken 2010 and 2011