Dutchess County is named for Lady Anne Hyde, who was the Dutchess of York and wife of King James II of England.
Created: November 1, 1683
Poughkeepsie 1683 – present
County Courthouse – Poughkeepsie
Location: 10 Market Street / Main Street
Built: 1903 – 1904
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: William Beardsley
Contractor: Campbell & Dempsey
Description: The building faces east and is a five story brick and stone structure. The building is located in the center of Poughkeepsie. The first story is faced with gray colored stone. The upper stories are red colored brick. The east front has a large central arch with recessed entrance. There are vertical stone pilasters and the corners of the building have stone trim. There are central gabled dormers on the east and south sides of the roof.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Poughkeepsie in 1720 and burned in 1806. The second courthouse was built in 1809.
County Office Building – Poughkeepsie
Location: 22 Market Street / Main Street
Built: 1963 – 1965
Description: The building faces east and is a six story concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the center of Poughkeepsie on the south side of the courthouse. The east front has vertical concrete dividers between groups of horizontal windows. The first story entrance is located towards the south with canopy above. The roof line is flat.
N – Columbia County
S – Putnam County
County Office Building
Photos taken 2014