Orleans County

US States / N / New York / Orleans County
Orleans

Orleans County is named for the French Royal House of Orleans.

 

Created:  November 11, 1824 

County Seat:

Albion  1824 – present

 

County Courthouse – Albion  

 

Location:  3 South Main Street / East State Street

Built:  1857 – 1858

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  William V N Barlow

Contractor:  William V N Barlow

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story colored red colored brick structure. The north front has a large portico supported by four large white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Horizontal pillars run along the building with recessed windows. On the center of the roof is a large octagonal dome with silver colored roof and small cupola at the top. The building was renovated in 1928. The architect was J Mills Pratt. The building was restored from 2001 to 2003 and the architect was Crawford & Stearns of Syracuse and the contractor was Clark Patterson Associates.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1827 at a cost of $6,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $20,000.

 

County Clerk’s Office – Albion  

 

1998k10

 

Location:  3 South Main Street / East State Street

Built:  1887 – 1888

Style:  Georgian

Architect:  Isaac G Perry

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story colored red colored brick structure. The west front has two arched entrances on the first story. On the southwest corner is a projecting tower which rises to a white colored cupola with steep roof. The building has a dormer on the hipped roof.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Lake Ontario and Ontario, Canada

E – Monroe County 

S – Genesee County

W – Niagara County

 

 

 

1987k10

 

 

1988k10

 

 

1989k10

 

 

1990k10

 

 

1991k10

 

 

1992k10

 

 

1997k10

 

 

1999k10

 

 

2001k10

 

 

2002k10

Photos taken 2010