Sullivan County is named for John Sullivan, who was an American Revolutionary War general.
Created: March 27, 1809
Monticello 1809 – present
County Courthouse – Monticello
Location: 414 Broadway ./ Bank Street
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: William J Beardsley of Poughkeepsie
Contractor: Campbell & Dempsey of Kingston
Description: The building faces south and is a two story gray colored Ohio limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a large portico with four high columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large green colored dome with large clock. The building was renovated in 1979. The building was named as the “The Lawrence H Cooke Sullivan County Courthouse.”
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Thornton MacNess Niven and built by Samuel Bull of Orange County in 1845 at a cost of $6,790. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $142,800.
N – Delaware County
E – Ulster County
Photos taken 2014