Andrew County is named for Andrew Jackson Davis, who was a prominent citizen of St. Louis and Savannah.
Created: January 29, 1841
Savannah 1841 – present
County Courthouse – Savannah
Location: 411 Court Street / South 5th Street
Built: 1898 – 1900
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: George E McDonald of Omaha, Nebraska and Alfred Meier of St. Joseph
Contractor: J A Nason of Northern Building Company of Minneapolis, Minnesota
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. Built of pressed brick, the building has a slate roof and sandstone ornamental trim. The building is 84 feet by 104 feet and 120 feet high. The south front has a center projection with stone trimmed arch on the first story. On each corner is a large square brick tower with white colored dome. The first story windows have rusticated stone arches and sills and the second story are rectangular. In the center of the building is a square white colored cupola with white colored dome, clock and a statue of Justice at the top. The building was renovated in 1976 to 1978.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Samuel Knight and constructed by Nelson Brothers in 1844. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $48,000.
See: The architect, George E McDonald of Omaha, Nebraska, designed courthouses in Kansas in Elk County; in Missouri in Bates County, Johnson County and Lawrence County and in Nebraska in Fillmore County and Nuckolls County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Andrew County Courthouse
N – Nodaway County
Photos taken 2008