Lawrence County is named for James Lawrence, who was an American naval officer best known for his last words “Don’t give up the ship!”.
Created: February 14, 1845
Mount Vernon 1845 – present
County Courthouse – Mount Vernon
Location: 1 East Courthouse Square / North Main Street
Built: 1900 – 1901
Architect: George E McDonald of Omaha, Nebraska
Contractor: J D Armstrong of Chicago ( defaulted ) T A Miller of Aurora
Description: The building faces south and is a two story course gray colored limestone structure. The building fis located on courthouse square. The building is 48 feet by 104 feet. The south front has an arch at the entrance on the first story. The centre section projects slightly from the main building and rises to a peak. There are large square stone towers with domed roofs on each corner. On the center of the roof is a square clock tower with domed roof and statue of Justice at the top.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Matlock and Sanford in 1846 at a cost of $700. The second courthouse was built by Stephen M Walcott, of Newton County in 1853 to 1855 at a cost of $7,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $48,875.
County Justice Center – Mount Vernon
Location: 240 North Main Street / East Water Street
Architect: Richard Warner
Contractor: Crossland Construction of Kansas City
Description: The building faces west and is a two story cement and glass structure. The west front has a gray colored concrete section with concrete pillars diving the recessed glass panel walls. Above is a wide header. The building is tiered going east. The roof line is flat.
N – Dade County
S – Barry County
Photos taken 2009