Lewis County is named for Meriwether Lewis, who was an explorer and Governor of the Missouri Territory.
Created: January 2, 1833
Monticello 1833 – present
County Courthouse – Monticello
Location: 101 Lafayette Street / South Washington Street
Built: 1875 – 1876
Architect: J T McAllister
Contractor: George Barnes
Description: The building faces north and is a two red colored brick structure. The building is 75 by 50 feet and has a mansard roof with a square cupola above the central north section of the building. Decorative brick work and paired brackets enrich the cornice. Above the central north entrance is a small balcony on the second story. An addition was added to the west side.
Note: The first courthouse was built by J W Buckley in 1834. The second courthouse was built by William S Pemberton and James A Richardson in 1839. The third and present courthouse was built at a cost of $10,000.
N – Adair County
Photos taken 2009