Elk County is named for the Elk River which was named after the abundance of elk in the region.
Created: March 3, 1875
Howard 1875 – present
County Courthouse – Howard
Location: 127 South Pine Street / East Washington Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Romanesque Revival and Italian Renaissance
Architect: George E McDonald of Omaha, Nebraska
Contractor: Morse Contracting Company.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story yellow buff colored brick and stone structure. The north front has an arched entrance on the first story and rises to a high square brick clock tower with open section at the top. The front east and west sections are on story with a two story section behind. The base of the building is course limestone. The red colored roof is hipped. The building was renovated in 1976 to 1977.
Note: The previous courthouse constructed by J S Huntly in 1877, burned on October 24, 1906. L F Roberts was hired to tear down the remaining wall and the cost of construction of the present courthouse was $47,000.
See: The architect, George E McDonald of Omaha, Nebraska, designed courthouses in Missouri in Andrew County, Bates County, Johnson County and Lawrence County and in Nebraska in Fillmore County and Nuckolls County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Elk County Courthouse
N – Greenwood County
Photos taken 2010