Choctaw County is named for the Choctaw Native American tribe and the word means “separation”.
Created: December 23, 1833
Greensboro ( Webster ) 1833 – 1872
La Grange 1872 – 1874
Chester 1874 – 1923 ( consolidated )
Ackerman 1887 – present
County Courthouse – Akerman
Location: 511 South Louisville Street / Quinn Street
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Noah Webster Overstreet of Jackson
Contractor: J F Lee and F D Alford ( supervisors )
Description: The building faces north and is a two story white colored stucco and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The center section has a central entrance with eagle over the doorway. The east and west wings are slightly recessed and are lower in height. The roof line is flat.
Note: The construction of the courthouse was a Works Project Administration project which hired local labor and local trades to do the construction. The construction superintendents were J F Lee and F D Alford..
See: The architect, Noah Webster Overstreet of Jackson, also designed courthouses in Alcorn County, Bolivar County, Franklin County, Pontotoc County, Prentiss County, Rankin County, Tippah County and Webster County.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by W Chamberlin & Company and constructed by Chamberlin & Williams in 1897.
N – Webster County
Photos taken 2012 and 2017