Carroll County is named for Charles Carroll, who was a signer of the United States Declaration of Independence.
Created: December 23, 1833
Carrollton 1833 – present ( First Judicial District )
Vaiden 1833 – present ( Second Judicial District )
* Carroll County has two county seats
County Courthouse – Carrollton
Location: 600 Lexington Street / Washington Street
Built: 1878 – 1879
Architect: James Clark Harris
Contractor: T W Parker and A Lamour
Description: The building faces west and is a two story gray-white colored brick structure. The west front has a central entrance on the first story with fanlight above. The first story is open on three sides. On the center of the roof is a square white wood cupola with dome. On the east side of the building is a one story addition. The building was renovated in 1979. The architect was Godfrey, Bassett & Tuminello. The building was restored in 1992. The architect was Clemmer & Clark and the contractor was Bounds Construction Company, Inc.
County Courthouse – Vaiden
Location: 411 Front Street / Mulberry Street
Built: 1988 – 1989
Architect: McRee Dardaman and Jones
Contractor: Crowson Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a one story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The east front has a south section with brick exterior and sloped roof adjoining a vertical square clock tower with large clock at the top. On the north side of the tower is an arched porch with the main entrance. The middle and north sections of the building have glass walls and a sloped roof.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Patrick H Weathers and constructed by M T Lewman & Company.
N – Grenada County
S – Holmes County
W – Leflore County
Photos taken 2012