Attala County

US States / M / Mississippi / Attala County
0745M12

Attala County is named for the Indian heroine “Attala”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Carroll CountyMontgomery County and Choctaw County

E – Choctaw County and Winston County 

S – Leake County and Madison County

W – Holmes County and Carroll County

 

Created:  December 23, 1833                                                    Map of Mississippi highlighting Attala County

County Seat: 

Kosciusko  1833 – present

 

County Courthouse – Kosciusko 

 

Location:  230 West Washington Street / Madison Street

Built:  1897

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  Andrew J Bryan & Company

Contractor:  Lindamood & Puckett

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story dark red colored brick structure. The building is located on Courthouse Square in the center of Kosciusko. The north front has a large portico with four large columns rising to a header at the roof line. The central entrance has a small pediment above. The east and west wings extend from the main building. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with clock and round cupola with green colored dome at the top. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the entrances on the north, south and west sides lead into corridors extending to a central circular junction. The first story floors are marble. There are stairwells in the east and west corridors. The courtroom is located on the south side of the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 5th Judicial District and the County Justice Court. 

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Attala County Courthouse

 

See: The architect,  Andrew J Bryan, designed the courthouses in Alabama  in Coffee County, Lee County and Monroe County; in Georgia in Colquitt County, Pulaski County and Stewart County; in Kentucky in Bracken Couinty and Mercer County; in Louisiana in Pointe Coupee Parish;  in Mississippi in Simpson County; and in Texas in Rains County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1833 and Kosciusko was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1837. The courthouse burned in 1858 and the Methodist Church became the second courthouse. The church burned in 1860 and the third courthouse was a two story brick structure built by the town in 1861 at a cost of $20,000. The courthouse also burned in 1896. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1897.

 

 

0749m12

County Courthouse – Kosciusko

 

 

0743m12

 

 

0744m12

 

 

0746m12

 

 

0748m12

 

 

1720t17

 

 

1721t17

 

 

1723t17

 

 

1724t17

 

 

1727t17

 

 

1729t17

 

 

1725t17

 

 

1730t17

 

 

1731t17

 

 

1732t17

Picture 1861 County Courthouse 

Photos taken 2012 and 2017