Bolivar County is named for Simon Bolivar, who was a South America hero and founder of several South American countries.
Created: February 9, 1836
Bolivar Landing 1836 – 1844
Jackson’s Point 1844 – 1847
Bolivia 1847 – 1852
Prentiss 1852 – 1866
Beulah 1866 – 1872
Rosedale 1872 – present ( First Judicial District )
Cleveland 1900 – present ( Second Judicial District )
* Bolivar County has two county seats.
County Courthouse – Cleveland
Location: 200 South Court Street / North Pearman Street
Built: 1923 – 1924
Style: Italian Renaissance
Architect: Noah Webster Overstreet
Contractor: W C Stout
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick structure. The south front has a central section with four large columns and recessed arched windows on the second story. The east and west sections project from the main building. Between the outer sections and the central section are two square towers rising above the roof line. The red colored roof is hipped. The building houses the court for the Second Judicial District. In 1957, an addition was constructed. The architect was Harold Kaplan and the contractor was D M Fleming, Jr.
See: The architect, Noah Webster Overstreet of Jackson, also designed courthouses in Alcorn County, Choctaw County, Franklin County, Pontotoc County, Prentiss County, Rankin County, Tippah County and Webster County.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by William S Hull and constructed by W B Hull and W S H Hull in 1901.
County Courthouse – Rosedale
Location: 801 Main Street / Dr. Martin Luther King Street
Built: 1922 – 1924
Architect: Kramer & Lindsley of Jackson
Contractor: S W Leard of McCool
Description: The building faces west and is a one story buff colored brick structure. The west front has a small central porch with two columns and recessed entrances. On the wide header above the porch at the roof line is a clock. A wide cornice runs below the flat roof line. Vertical piasters divide the double windows. The courtroom is located in the center of the building and the building houses the court for the First Judicial District. he building was renovated in 1960. The architect was Norwood & Kenny.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Bartlett & Thompson and constructed by John T Barnes in 1889.
N – Coahoma County
Photos taken 2012